Calling all culinary enthusiasts and cooking aficionados! Get ready to showcase your skills at the Collard Greens Cook-Off during the 7th Annual Big Mama’s Collard Green Festival on Oct. 21, 2023. Join us at Robert L. Taylor Community Park for this beloved event that celebrates community and culture, bringing together the vibrant influences of Cajun, Creole, Southern, and Caribbean styles.
As a participant in the collard green cook-off, you’ll have the chance to compete for the coveted title of “Big Mama” and win prizes for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. Prepare your best family collard recipes and submit them for a blind taste test by a panel of judges selected by the event planning committee.
But that’s not all! Festival attendees will have the opportunity to indulge in soul food offerings from local chefs and vendors, supporting the vibrant local culinary scene. It’s the perfect occasion to savor some of the area’s best food while fostering community connections.
BMCGF is a family-friendly event, creating a welcoming atmosphere for all ages. Spend quality time with loved ones as you enjoy delicious food and live entertainment. Multiple food vendors will be available, ensuring a diverse array of delectable options. Remember to bring your lawn chairs or blankets for a comfortable and relaxing time.
Don’t miss out on this fantastic event celebrating community, culture, and healthy eating habits. We look forward to seeing you at the 7th Annual Big Mama’s Collard Green Festival!
- Bring a dish to the Newtown Nation/ Newtown Farmers Market booth (blue flags)
- 1/3 aluminum pan (loaf pan) with name & booth # underneath.
- The Newtown Nation will then give you a ticket matching your entry ticket, which will be attached to your dish.
- Judging start (no dishes will be accepted after 1:05 p.m.)
- Results will be announced. (The remainder of your dish will be for sample for patrons).
- Judges will only have a dish number, not ticket numbers or vendor name
- 1st place winner will receive $150, a Festival T-shirt, a commemorative gift, and interviewed by a local reporter and one FREE Saturday vending at the Newtown Farmers Market.
- 2nd place runner-up will receive $75 and Festival T-shirt
- 3rd place runner-up will receive $50 and Festival T-shirt
All vendors shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Big Mama’s Collard Greens Festival. Planning Committee, the City of Sarasota, RLTCC and its representatives, members, employees and volunteers from and against any and all liabilities, damages, losses, cost, or expenses resulting from a claim, suit or proceeding made or bought by the way the contestant or third party against any committee planning member of the organization above arising out of or in any way connected with Contestant’s participation in the BMCGF 2022, except to the extent such liability, damage, loss or expenses is the result of gross negligence or willful misconduct of any BMCGF, the City of Sarasota, representatives.